…and this morning maybe I have the (possibly self-righteous) answer to the question that is haunting me:
(Or, in other words, not being a martyr or a doormat or hanging in there with someone who doesn’t truly care about me in words and deed.)
and the answer is…
A checklist. Clearly I’ve been body-snatched.
- Was I brave?
- Was I open-hearted?
- Did I ask for what I need?
- Could I do more to fix this?
- Did I offer and try my very best?
- Is the other person trying his/her very best, too?
- If I walk away, do I know, to my bones, that I did all I could do?
endings aren’t forever. They might just be for now. Sometimes we grow up and come back together. Sometime we grow apart. Sometimes we grow.