NOT interested in doing business as usual?
Good. Me neither.
The Status Quo business formulas we’re taught everywhere (see also: The Female Lifestyle Empowerment Brand) produce inequity and injustice…
….and we do NOT have to do it that way.
And…if we scrap the old, unjust business practices, what do we replace them with?
For the last several years, I’ve been developing alternative, justice-informed*, feminist marketing strategies and tactics. I try them out in my own platform and with clients and then we iterate.
Here are some of the transformative, liberatory #FeministMarketingTools we’ve had success with that might be useful for you. They can help you want to grow your platform, revenue and reach…while also creating a positive social impact.
* I first heard the term “justice-informed” from Lauren Elizabeth and it’s so wildly useful.
Feminist Marketing Tool #527: Pledge to Only Speak at Events/Podcasts that are SUBSTANTIALLY Inclusive
- May 27, 2017. Take the pledge: “I will ONLY speak at conferences and podcasts that are SUBSTANTIALLY Inclusive.” This Feminist Marketing Tool is primarily for white women but can also be modified and used by women with other dominant identities — cis, straight, able-bodied, thin, etc — willing to leverage their privilege, power and platforms to make inclusion our new cultural norm… Continue reading
Money + Payment Plans
Feminist Marketing Tool #626: Reconsider Your Payment Plans because Charging Extra for Payment Plans Can Be Exploitative
- June 26, 2016. I’m looking around at our empowerment spaces at the payment plans being offered and I’m seeing some arguably predatory practices. In keeping with our project — creating a culture of justice, selling to women without selling them out — we might want to question charging extra for payment plans. Although it’s the norm in our … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool 611: Stop Charging Extra for Payment Plans and Do This Instead
- June 11, 2020. Undercapitalized women entrepreneurs often urgently need cash infusions to cover their pre-launch costs, which might be why it’s so common to penalize their clients who use payment plans. Here’s what to do instead. Continue Reading
See also: Money Is a Feminist Issue (Workshop)
Feminist Marketing Tool #816: How to Audit Your Brand Photos for White Supremacy and White Beauty Norms (And Create Different Imagery!)
- August 16, 2017. How white women entrepreneurs can resist and dismantle white supremacy in their own businesses and marketing….Continue Reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #1220: A Feminist Approach to Stock Photos
- May 31, 2019. Images are an essential business resource and they have culture-making power. For a long time, I knew that but I didn’t know how to herd that set of kittens. So I avoided images altogether. I knew what I didn’t want to do — perpetuate the mandatory pretty that’s a form of internalized misogyny AND perpetuate … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #1225: Yes, Use Photos of Yourself!
- March 19, 2018. Feminist Marketing Tip #1225 Yes, use selfies. Yes, use professional photos. Yes, be visible. You don’t have to disappear and stop using photos and images to avoid the excesses and beauty-signalling of a Female Lifestyle Empowerment Brand. Personally imagery is an essential marketing asset. A Director of Marketing I once worked for, and who really … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #521: Refresh Consent and Preserve Your List with a Pre-Launch Email
- May 24, 2020. Sending a pre-launch email seeking to refresh consent is a culture-making move. It reinforces the feminist principle that consent is sacred; and practicing consent in all things helps us chip away at the foundation of rape culture. And, contrary to the narrative that says anti-oppressive principles are bad for business, refreshing consent also can be … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #529: Nope, Opt-Ins are NOT Mandatory
- February 26, 2018. If you’ve never been able to follow through and create your free offer to entice people into signing up to your email list, there might be a bigger, cultural reason why you’re not comfortable with it and why you resisted it. Here’s an alternative. Continue Reading
See also: List-building Workshop
Feminist Marketing Tool #54: The GDPR is Good for Consent Culture
- May 4, 2018. I know there’s a lot of hullabaloo about the GDPR and fear that it’s going to be bad for business, but I think the GDPR is something feminist entrepreneurs can appreciate — and maybe even champion — because it moves us a step further towards Consent Culture. Continue Reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #421: Ditch the Makeover Myth
- April 21, 2018. In conventional online marketing, we’re taught to “manufacture” authority with a makeover story. Why? So that people will obey our authority and buy. But manufacturing authority with a makeover story creates inequity between us and our clients, and reinforces it in the wider world. So let’s ditch that makeover tactic. Continue Reading.
Feminist Marketing Tool #220: Leverage Your Line Items + Use Your Supply Chain and Business Purchases to Invest in Your Community. A List of Apps + Digital Tools Founded by Women and BIPOC
- February 20, 2019. Feminist marketing is about our messaging AND our business practices. We need apps and software to market; so feminist marketers can deliberately invest in apps founded by people with non-dominant identities. Continue Reading
Hiring + Community Investment
Feminist Marketing Tool: Hire Them When They’re Hungry. Hire Them on The Way Up.
- March 29, 2016. Here’s what we need to do for our emerging artists, activists and entrepreneurs: we need to hire them on the way up. We need to keep them fed and safe and warm. Continue Reading.
Feminist Marketing Tool #1025: Invest In Your Community
- October 25, 2017. When I was first starting out online, I witnessed an influential woman using her platform to boost the signals of others (including mine). She tweeted people all day every day and every week, she profiled someone her audience didn’t (yet) know on her blog. She created a list of professionals she recommended and posted it on her site. This was a career-changer for lots of people. Continue Reading
More Tools for Culture Makers: Signal Boost. Refer. Mentor
- June 2, 2019. When Gloria Steinem speaks or attends events, she always brings a few young feminists and activists with her. That’s deliberate. She’s leveraging her fame and reputation to lift newcomers. This helps the rising stars get familiar and comfortable with the arena, and embeds them in a network of supporters and champions so they can do … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #402: Preserve Your Social Media Ephemera AND Your Body of Work
- April 2, 2018. Every single day, culture makers create reams of social media content. Our bodies of work disappear into the ether AND makes tech giants rich. I want you to PRESERVE your body of work in your own archive. This is a method for automating this. Continue Reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #301: Use Social Media Posts To Refine Your Ideas
- March 5, 2018. What if social media isn’t a time suck, after all? What if, rather than distracting you from your work, creating short social media posts can be a deliberate refinement practice that helps further develop and concisely articulate your ideas? Continue Reading
See also: We Are The Culture-Makers Membership
Feminist Marketing Tool #531: Ask for Way More Than You Need
- June 4, 2018. When we don’t have institutions underwriting us, we have to underwrite each other. Today’s Feminist Marketing Tip #531 contains a wildly practical, tactical secret from Audre Lorde’s “A Burst of Light” that shows us how feminist makers can make more amazing stuff, every single day. Continue Reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #624: CAUTION: how your feminist efforts get leveraged and EXPLOITED to grow the platforms of our opponents
- June 24, 2019. This email is long and a little grim, so please read it with this in mind: We are the culture makers. Our social media comments and who we follow, online, determines what the mainstream media covers. That means we have the … Continue reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #1230: JOURNAL
- December 31, 2017. You probably already know that journaling is a self-awareness tool…but did you know it can fuel your marketing, too? #FeministMarketingTip. Continue Reading.
Feminist Marketing Tool #314: Save Marketing You Love
- March 12, 2018. Dear Feminist Marketers: let’s learn from what we love. Continue Reading
Feminist Marketing Tool #130: Read Outside Your Niche and Ask “What if…?”
- January 30, 2018. Creating, remembering and accessing feminist marketing ecosystems — culture-making!! — means reading way outside your niche and asking “what if…” rather than “how?” #FeministMarketingTip. Continue Reading
Subscribe to get notified when there’s a new #FeministMarketingTool available